powered help
header-left header-center header-right
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
Meeting Name: CITY-COUNTY TASK FORCE ON CLIMATE AND ECONOMIC EQUITY Agenda status: Final
Meeting date/time: 8/5/2021 10:30 AM Minutes status: Final  
Meeting location: Virtual
Transportation and Mobility Work Group
Published agenda: Agenda Agenda Published minutes: Minutes Minutes  
Meeting video: eComment: Not available  
Attachments:
File #Ver.Agenda #TypeTitleActionResultTallyAction DetailsVideo
     Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88371242342 Meeting ID: 883 7124 2342 One tap mobile +13126266799,,88371242342# US (Chicago) +16465588656,,88371242342# US (New York) Dial by your location +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC) +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) Meeting ID: 883 7124 2342 Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbtD6R2K0A     Not available
   1. Call To Order (Time):

Minutes note: 10:33am
    Not available
   2. Roll Call

Minutes note: Ted Kraig, Matt Donath, Jennifer Evans, Jeff Stone, Mitch Harris, Marissa Meyer, Akira Mabon, Pamela Ritger, Dennis Grzezinski
    Not available
   3. Review and Approval of Minutes

Minutes note: No minutes shared yet. Will share for approval at the next meeting.
    Not available
   4. Outreach and Education Plan

Minutes note: Jennifer Evans reviewed Education and Outreach Working Group’s plan. Looking for survey questions for each one of the ten big ideas. Will get input at informational events. Will use Social Pinpoint. Have three events scheduled so far. Looking to schedule an event with this working group. Looking for one point person from each group to work with one person from Education and Outreach working group. Not have a volunteer yet for this working group. Example, land use working group will staff a table at Fondy Market. Jobs and Equity group doing an in person event at African American History Museum. Wide variety possible. Green Buildings group will be doing a round table discussion. Toolkit on shared drive where can see progress. Hoping to be at biking event to pass out information, September 18, we can’t speak but alder will refer people to us. Can have Zoom presentation, maybe one for EV. Group can decide to do more. Outdoor events best given COVID. Matt suggests an event with everything we’re working on presented, rather than breaking it up into subgroup focus. Could have it on the website. Not need to get into the nitty gritty detail. Jennifer says looked at Yale climate communication research. Need different kinds of events to reach different audiences. Therefore trying to have a variety. In person best for marginalized groups. Social media and tradition media gets to higher income white people. Matt can speak further with Jennifer about moving forward. Lots going on with ARP funding, etc. Dennis would help with one or more events. Jeff can help as well. Jennifer will schedule a meeting with Ted included. Need to come up with questions for the public. Some questions technical and some personal about what people would use and the like. Jennifer is writing a short summary of the proposals to share on Social Pinpoint.
    Not available
   5. Plan for Building Out Subgroup Preliminary Proposals

Minutes note: Ted and Matt discussed process to dive into the recommendations. Propose taking a meeting for each of the subgroups’ proposals so that people can prepare and come with questions, concerns, etc. Still need to figure out getting into writing. Maybe come up with questions for public while working through the proposals.
    Not available
   6. Future Meetings and Next Steps

Minutes note: If Tanya available can do Vehicle Disincentive proposals for next meeting. Will give people advance notice when decide. For Active Modes need to make sure James Davies is present.
    Not available
   7. Discussion of Fuel Shift Proposals

Minutes note: Work through the Fuel Shift subgroup proposals. Proposal #1 Charging Infrastructure Ordinance – Madison did something like this and the process has already started in Milwaukee. What is typical cost of charging station? Depends on level of charger and type (dumb, smart, networked, etc.). Range is $2K to $10K for Level 2. Sometimes vendors will pay. Maybe we can incentivize so property owners don’t have to pay themselves. Impact on utility grid is a question. May require significant electrical upgrades that have to be considered. Would include zoning code changes. No good research on uptake. Not sure on what kind of opposition could face. Evidence that following installation if charging infrastructure, EV sales go up dramatically. Finding offsite locations especially helpful. Will be need for electricians. Need separate training, especially for Level 3 chargers. Don’t know the numbers but should look into it. DOE may have something. Pipeline for people to do the work has not been a problem. ChargePoint uses local electricians. But could change if increasing at scale. Need to work with Jobs and Equity working group. Timelines usually include couple year grace period to get ready and phase up to higher percentages. Initially would be just new developments, retroactively doing more costly, so require when repaving for existing lots. Federal money would help with getting at existing lots and spaces. Volkswagen money still out there. There is a Federal tax incentive, up to $30K per location. Softens the blow. Need to push so that uptake at existing lots and locations. Not necessarily need City budget for this. ECO can do the outreach and education. Infrastructure bill could change much. Proposal #2 EV Charging Network Plan – For need where limited off street parking and the like. KC got 1,000 stations by utility in its territory. Piloting charging stations on light posts. City not want to get into the business, but rather encourage others to do the business. Vendors can make money off of it. WEC partnering is the easiest way to do it. MG&E in Madison doing it. Work with them to come up with locations. Can look at percentage requirements for installation in LMI communities. Can we partner with gas stations to offer charging stations? Pam heard that Kwik Trip supportive of the charging infrastructure. They see the writing on the wall. Level 3 chargers very expensive, $50K + infrastructure. Gas stations logical place for Level 3 chargers. VW money was supposed to be for this purpose. Could target stations near highway corridors. Zoning code changes would take into account. Battery swapping stations could be part of way this is done as well. Would have metrics to measure such as public charging points per million with timelines and phases, build annually. Probably not need City budget and capacity beyond existing. ECO and other departments can likely do it, but still may need more staff. #3 – Get utilities to offer programs for EV infrastructure. All goes through PSC. We can weigh in. Is a proposed pilot that was approved so people pay back on bill with no up front cost. Can reduce up front cost. Utilities are starting to take initiative. Don’t know if there’s discussion of additional incentives for LMI households. Might be certain percentage that needs to be for LMI households. Pam will send the pilot information. #4 – Advocate for infrastructure investment at state level, especially on interstate corridors. #5 – Converting City fleet to EV or PHEVs. Started on it. Haven’t determined exact percentages. Have interdepartmental EV group. Have consultant for EV decision matrix, for example based on distance vehicle travels daily and type of vehicle for use. Maybe clean fleet by 2030. For now may exclude heavy vehicles because not feasible. At very least should purchase hybrids immediately. Police vehicles must be all wheel drive and drive in snow. If job can be done by EV will be a requirement. Main thing is to get all departments on board. All have been supportive. Big step to even be phasing it in. Certainly reasonable to have half the fleet EV by 2030. May cost City money for the charging infrastructure. Phasing means not immediate crunch. Some buildings may have to have electrical upgrades. Not great financing options. Federal money would help. Would likely need capital funding through city budget. Could do as part of performance contracts for energy upgrades at City buildings. #6 – Install chargers at City lots and libraries. Did this at four libraries to have them charger ready. Can do even this year. Next step is publicly owned garages and surface lots. Would do directly rather than have vendors come in. Many questions like charges and demand charges. Would need to be budgeted and financed through City budget beyond the first few this year. Or find grant funding. #7 – Pilot chargers in lots, light poles, etc. – Need to figure out what can scale up quickly and measure progress. Pilot to figure out best way to build out. Near term if can get funding. Some vendors would do potentially more quickly rather than going through budget process. Or WEC could work with us on this. Need to flesh out the details more. #8 – Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) for CNG stations – RNG from digesters, landfills, etc. Less harmful if burn in vehicles rather than direct release. Some discussion of developing local sources more, local landfills, etc. Right now high demand and can’t even get gas from the local sources. New sources going on line all the time. Cost saving to procure and burn in City vehicles because there’s tax credits. Should have by next year. #9 – Lobby for more local RNG use – much from dairy farms. State level incentive would help. Costly to do it, so need the state incentives to create the business model. Ted – Could we have a proposal for access to LMI families? Much is funded at state level. Might be advocacy at that level. City lacks the resources. Ted – Can a requirement be made of taxis to be EV? Need to look into it. Not know feasibility.
    Not available
   8. Public Questions or Comments – Up to 2 minutes per speaker    Not available
   9. Next Meeting Date

Minutes note: For now look at returning to Tuesday, 11:00am times. Tentatively Aug 17. Ted will do a poll to find out availability.
    Not available
   10. Adjourn (Time)

Minutes note: 12:06pm Minutes provided by Ted Kraig.
    Not available