powered help
header-left header-center header-right
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
Meeting Name: COMMUNITY COLLABORATIVE COMMISSION Agenda status: Final
Meeting date/time: 11/19/2020 1:00 PM Minutes status: Final  
Meeting location: Virtual
Published agenda: Agenda Agenda Published minutes: Minutes Minutes  
Meeting video: eComment: Not available  
Attachments:
File #Ver.Agenda #TypeTitleActionResultTallyAction DetailsVideo
     To join this meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/666135853 You can also dial in using your phone: (571) 317-3122 Access Code: 666-135-853 Join from a video-conferencing room or system.     Not available
   1. Roll Call.

Minutes note: Meeting convened: 1:08 P.M. Members present: Fred Royal, Gina Zarcone, Tim Baack, Nate Hamilton, Jamaal Smith, Huezong Yang, Camille Mays, Steve Jansen, Amy Orta, Shawn Muhammad, Pamela Malone Members excused: Tammy Rivera, Damien Smith, Jeff Roman, Will Perry, Christine Neumann-Ortiz,
    Not available
   2. Review and approval of the minutes from the October 6th and October 9th meetings.

Minutes note: Mr. Royal moved, seconded by Mr. Baack, for approval of the minutes of both meetings. There were no objections.
    Not available
   3. Update on CCC and MPD co-creation of the Community-Oriented Policing SOP and vote on proposed changes.

Minutes note: Mr. Jamaal Smith said the only change that the CCC subgroup made was in the policy area in the beginning by adding some text to ensure all of the MPD functions will be centered around community partnership. Mr. Royal wanted "encouraged" stricken from establishing community partnerships so that these partnerships are required, not solely encouraged. Working on the COP SOP is the residual work from the Community Collaborative Committee and the original COP SOP was written without input from the Committee. Mr. Baack commended members who are working on this project and he sees the result of considerable work and effort. Mr. Royal would like to add a section 3.16 which would result in community members being appointed to the MPD Use of Force Committee to sit on their quarterly meetings. If MPD did not support this change, he was told the Fire and Police Commission had the authority to decide if 3.16 would be created as part of the SOP. He thinks the CCC would select which community person would select or endorse an individual. Mr. Jansen said the CCC position is that it shouldn't matter who the police chief is, that there should be a community member on the Use of Force Committee. The CCC Subgroup will follow up on this moving forward. Mr. Royal said there are two standing members and other members appointed by the chief to serve one-year terms. Mr. Royal noted that the Collins settlement expires in 5 years so adding a report required by the agreement would be a little awkward to add to the COP SOP. Mr. Smith moved to approve the changes, seconded by Mr. Royal. There were no objections.
    Not available
   4. Committee creation, chairs and duties.

Minutes note: There are 4 committees created at the prior meeting. Community Survey and Research Committee -- Pamela Malone to chair, Deborah Blanks added as a member. as well as Steve Jansen. Mr. Jansen moved, seconded by Ms. Mays, to appoint Ms.Maone as chair. There were no objections. Policy Committee - Jamaal Smith to chair, . Moved by Mr. Royal, seconded by Mr. Baack. There were no objection. Community Outreach Committee - Damien Smith to chair, Amy Orta as a member, Chair Hamilton would also like to be present at the first meeting. Steve Jansen encouraged members to reach out to Ms. Mays. Executive Committee - Nate Hamilton is chair by default. Community members can be added to these committee as well. The Collins agreement details what the duties of each committee are and the chair will make sure all members get this information.
    Not available
   5. Creation of other positions, including, but not limited to treasurer or secretary and duties of these positions.

Minutes note: The chair hasn't talked to any members about these positions; if members are interested in either position they should e-mail the chair. This item will be on the next agenda. Mr. Royal moved, seconded by Ms. Malone to move this item to the next agenda. There were no objections.
    Not available
   5. Institute a budget for the Commission based upon 2021 funding ($50,000).

Minutes note: Chair Hamilton will be reaching out to the Committees to see what their budgetary needs are. Community Survey and Outreach will probably use most of those funds. Mr. Royal said part of the SOP is to create a Community Engagement Document, modeled after Baltimore's, so some outreach money will be needed for that as well. The $50,000 will be funded through the City Clerk's Office. Mr. Royal moved, seconded by Mr. Baack, to move this item to the next agenda.
    Not available
   7. Discussion relating to the police chief hiring situation.

Minutes note: Chair Hamilton said that a number of Council members, through a media release, asked that the hiring of a police chief be put on hold until the FPC and FPC staff. Mr. Royal doesn't think that the process has been formally suspended. Mr. Baack agrees to that as well. Mr. Royal said there is another town hall meeting on Friday. Mr. Baack also noted that the fact that the former chief was not given due process that this might make a difference. Chair Hamilton said that as of now the CCC works with the acting chief and will establish a relationship with the new chief.
    Not available
   8. Discussion relating to the top 5 questions to survey the community on (possible 4 are): 1. Do you feel safe in Milwaukee? 2. Do you feel the relationship with the Milwaukee Police Department (MPD) is positive? 3. Do you feel the MPD needs to improve its relationship with the community? (Much Change, Moderate Change, No Change, Unsure) 4. What type of change is most important to you? (Policy and Procedure, Better community feedback, Community outreach, No change, Something else)

Minutes note: Mr. Royal would like to have the questions need to be neutral. Mr. Jansen moved to hold this item to the next meeting and members are free to e-mail him about possible questions and the structure of questions. The idea is that it would be a small, postcard survey with 5 questions for an efficient, easy response, seconded by Mr. Royal. There were no objections. Ms. Blanks thought the Survey Committee should come to a consensus and then bring it to the entire Commission so the Committee feels ownership. Mr. Jansen said he and Ms. Malone created these specific questions with the hopes of getting input. Mr. Royal moved that the Research Committee should take these questions bring back their vetted questions to the entire Commission, seconded by Mr. Jansen. There were no objections.
    Not available
   8. Discussion relating to having a virtual meeting community session for the community to know exactly who the CCC members are and the purpose of the CCC, then open it up for questions from the community.

Minutes note: Mr. Jansen moved, seconded by Ms. Mays, to hold item #9 to the next meeting.
    Not available
   9. Set next meeting date, time and agenda.

Minutes note: Dec. 3rd from 1-3. Generally meetings will be every-other Thursday from 1-3. At the December 17th meeting, the CCC will discuss the next meeting date into 2021. Ms. Elmer will e-mail the chairs of the Committees about getting agenda items, members, video links to herself in a timely manner. Adjourned: 2:22 P.M.
    Not available
200315 0 CommunicationCommunication relating to the 2020/2021 activities of the Community Collaborative Commission.    Action details Not available