powered help
header-left header-center header-right
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
Meeting Name: COMMUNITY COLLABORATIVE COMMISSION Agenda status: Final
Meeting date/time: 10/2/2020 1:00 PM Minutes status: Final  
Meeting location: Virtual
Please join this meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/195901061 or by phone by dialing: (872) 240-3212 Access Code: 195-901-061
Published agenda: Agenda Agenda Published minutes: Minutes Minutes  
Meeting video: eComment: Not available  
Attachments:
File #Ver.Agenda #TypeTitleActionResultTallyAction DetailsVideo
   1. Roll call.

Minutes note: Meeting convened: 1:10 P.M. Members present: Gina Zarcone, Fred Royal, Tim Baack, Damien Smith, Steve Jansen, Nate Hamilton, Jamaal Smith, Christine Neumann-Ortiz, Shawn Muhammad, Pamela Malone, Camille Mays
    Not available
   2. Review and approval of the minutes of the September 23rd meeting.

Minutes note: Mr. Royal moved to approve the minutes. Seconded by Jamaal Smith. There were no objections. For future votes, a roll call vote will be taken.
    Not available
   3. Creating a definition of "community oriented policing" and comments by Commission members to forward to the Oct. 5th work group meeting.

Minutes note: Mr. Royal said there are 3 models of COP: community engagement, officers live in the community and the third is to embed the community culture within the police culture as much as possible. He would like this body to support one of these models. Mr. Jansen said the document on community problem-oriented policing was intriguing as it discussed citizen authority, which he was interested in as a definition. Ms. Malone asked if advertising would need to be done to get the community to buy in and build community trust. Mr. Royal said once the Commission has a definition, then they would seek community support. Ms. Neumann-Ortiz said VDLF relies upon the FPC to force issues on engagement, transparency, etc and she thinks the one that provides the greatest amount of oversight is the best model. The third one would be similar to the one used in Tucson, Arizona, but it can be what the CCC determines that it wants to include. Ms. Neumann-Ortiz asked about the community playing a larger role in appointing FPC members, but that is set by state statute, per Mr. Royal. Mr. Royal would like to embed COP into the MPD culture as deeply and broadly as possible. Mr. Jamaal Smith said that training and accountability go hand-in-hand and there should be an all-encompassing definition that discusses oversight, training and accountability. Mr. Royal agreed and said that officers need to be treated equitably within the department as that affects how they do their jobs. It's not an "us against them", it's a "we"; Mr. Baack thinks the definition needs to be in alignment with the "Blueprint for Peace" Mr. Jamaal Smith said that there needs to be training in de-escalation. Mr. Jamaal Smith said a definition needs to be created around oversight, training and accountability. Mr. Hamilton would like a 3-4 sentence definition on what we want to focus on and that this is how we define it. Mr. Royal wants iron-clad words rather than "wiggle words" so that it is something that MPD must do, not "should" or "could" or "would". Mr. Royal moved that the working group had the authority to engage with MPD to embed COP as broadly and deeply as legally possible with training, policies and standard practices. Seconded by Ms. Malone. There were no objections.
    Not available
   4. Budget calculations for the Commission's and the Committees' work.

Minutes note: Ms. Malone said Mr. Jansen did a lot of work and he provided the update. Mr. Jansen said there are several ways to reach out to the community and one idea was to have a survey of the community of what they think needs to be done. One budget request was for mailing costs for a 5-question post card as part of a mass mailing, which would be about $4,500; a 10-day community survey advertising on Facebook at a cost of $3,000; a third item was a door-to-door survey with no identified costs or possibly a robo-call done by the city or an alderman reminding folks to take the community survey. They are still considering how they can reach out to the community in a cost-effective manner. Ms. Malone would randomize the sample to have the data be as legitimate as possible and have the percentages of respondees reflect the community in terms of race and gender. Ald. Hamilton would be willing to use his newsletter as an avenue to reach the public as well as use his office to reach other areas of the population. Ms. Malone would like to use a particular research method with getting answers from 30,000 population, which is a 5% response rate, which would make the study very credible. Ms. Malone and Mr. Jansen will create a document which states what the budget needs are for the Research Committee. The original Committee had a budget of $100,000 over 2 years and Mr. Royal feels that the Commission will have greater financial need. Mr. Royal moves to request $100,000 over a two-year term. Mr. Jansen will provide Ms. Elmer with a breakdown of the estimated costs. Mr. Jansen seconded Mr. Royal's motion. Ms. Malone will keep costs down as much as possible. There were no objections to the motion. Mr. Royal will look for the old budget; Ms. Rivera will have it if he doesn't. That will be on the Oct. 6th agenda.
    Not available
   5. Date/time for a press release re. the Commission and its roles and duties.

Minutes note: Chair Hamilton would like to have a press release and press conference done on October 9th; Mr. Royal suggested Monday, the 12th instead and all members were amenable to that change. Mr. Jamaal Smith moved that the press release and press conference be held on October 12th. Seconded by Mr. Royal. There were no objections.
    Not available
   6. Any additional agenda items for the Oct. 6th Commission meeting, besides Committee creation and membership?

Minutes note: The October 6th agenda will include: committee creation and membership; discussion of other positions, such as treasurer or secretary; the original CCC buget and the Commission budget; and discussion of the October 5th work group meeting. Meeting adjourned: 2:15 P.M. Linda M. Elmer Staff Assistant
    Not available
200315 0 CommunicationCommunication relating to the 2020 activities of the Community Collaborative Commission.    Action details Not available