PURPOSE: The purpose of the Black Male Achievement Advisory Council is to make recommendations to the Common Council on the issue of African American male achievement. The black male achievement advisory council shall also oversee the City Leadership Grant to Promote Black Male Achievement from the National League of Cities’ Institute for Youth, Education and Families and to include making recommendations relating to the My Brother’s Keeper presidential initiative.
COMPOSITION: 17 Members:
1. The mayor shall be honorary co-chair. His or her attendance shall not be required.
2. The common council president shall be co-chair.
3. The city treasurer, or his or her designee
4. The commissioner of health, or his or her designee
5. A Milwaukee police department representative, a Milwaukee fire department or the fire and police commission representative appointed by the common council president
6. The Milwaukee county executive or designee
7. A representative of the Milwaukee board of school directors, appointed by the common council president
8. A representative of a faith-based organization, appointed by the common council president
9. A representative of the business community, appointed by the mayor
10. 2 representatives of the philanthropic community, one of whom shall be appointed by the mayor and one shall be appointed by the common council president
11. 6 other persons, 4 of whom shall be appointed by the mayor, and 2 shall be appointed by the common council president
CREATING AUTHORITY: Common Council File Number 121719, 131642, 141190, and 160182
STAFFING: Ms. Joanna Polanco, 286-2366, email@example.com
LAST UPDATED: March 3, 2017