powered help
header-left header-center header-right
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
Meeting Name: CITY-COUNTY TASK FORCE ON CLIMATE AND ECONOMIC EQUITY Agenda status: Final
Meeting date/time: 9/13/2021 11:00 AM Minutes status: Final  
Meeting location: Virtual
Land Use, Urban Ag & Reforestation Work Group
Published agenda: Agenda Agenda Published minutes: Minutes Minutes  
Meeting video: eComment: Not available  
Attachments:
File #Ver.Agenda #TypeTitleActionResultTallyAction DetailsVideo
     Zoom link: Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/7807475204?pwd=bHo3d2ROdDJRT2VrRUNaS2xsdDhyUT09 Meeting ID: 780 747 5204 Passcode: 030609 One tap mobile +13126266799,,7807475204# US (Chicago) +13017158592,,7807475204# US (Washington DC)     Not available
     Working Group Members (12) Linda Frank, Chair Janet Meissner Pritchard, Bruce Wiggins, David Weingrod, Dynasty Ceasar, Kelly Moore Brands, Sam Leichtling, Scott Baran, Kimberly Kujoth, Tracy Staedter, Benjamin McKay, Katherine Riebe, Bridget Brown, Dulmini Jayawardana

Minutes note: Working Group Members (14) Linda Frank, Chair Janet Meissner Pritchard, Bruce Wiggins, David Weingrod, Dynasty Ceasar, Kelly Moore Brands, Sam Leichtling, Scott Baran, Kimberly Kujoth, Tracy Staedter, Benjamin McKay, Katherine Riebe, Bridget Brown, Dulmini Jayawardana Present: Linda Frank, Chair Tracy Staedter, Katherine Riebe, Scott Baran, Bridget Brown (runs UWM Sustainable Peacebuilding), Dulmini Jayawardana (working on PhD in geography; took sustainable peacebuilding), Dynasty Ceasar, 11:09; Bruce Wiggins, 12:16 Absent: Excused: Sam Leichtling, Janet Meissner Pritchard, Kimberly Kujoth, Benjamin McKay Other absences: David Weingrod Guests/Visitors: Erick Shambarger
    Not available
   1. Call to order and roll call; welcome new members

Minutes note: 1. Call to order at 11:04, assign notetaker - Linda Frank, and roll call (with 7 members present, a quorum was achieved); welcome new members Bridget Brown and Dulmini Jawardana
    Not available
   2. Approve minutes of 6/21/21 meeting

Minutes note: Tabled.
    Not available
   3. Announcements a. Items in Google Drive document repository b. Education and Outreach Working Group update c. ARPA funding status d. Chapter Template to be completed e. Working groups to prepare a slide presentation of their proposals

Minutes note: a. Items in Google Drive document repository b. Education and Outreach Working Group update i. Frank reported that a possible event at a southside school is being explored with the director of Reflo; Staedter added that another possibility is an event with MMSD in coordination with Nadia Vogt ii. Brands suggested Little Plaza parklet plan, 9/23 event to create green space; Land Use group could table there; timeframe is 4-7 ; Brands, Riebe and Frank volunteered and Shambarger will check with the ECO intern; Spanish translation is needed and Brands can help with that c. ARPA funding status i. 50% of the $394 million of ARPA funding has been received by the City; $50M will keep the city budget afloat; Common Council will address the 50% that has been received; Finance Committee will perform item by item consideration of mayor’s proposal; housing and lead abatement will be prioritized by them; Erick is pushing for the combined approach of lead abatement and weatherization; we would benefit from a Common Council sponsor for the Land Use proposals; Oct. 1 deadline for alderperson proposals to be submitted; Forestry Services is currently addressing the storm damage; Mayor was planning to start with a summer funding proposal and then to address further funding in the fall; we could reach out now to Common Council members; Treasury guidance must be consulted as to what proposals could be considered, items such as prioritizing qualified census tracts; we can point to the Task Force recommendations already made that include the Land Use initiatives; Frank will contact Nik Kovac to pursue this d. Chapter Template to be completed e. Working groups to prepare a slide presentation of their proposals - to supplement the Chapter Template i. Shambarger noted there will be no hiring of a consultant to write the final report until the 2022 budget
    Not available
   4. Consider Working Group Name Change to Nature in the City

Minutes note: a. There was a consensus in favor of changing this working group name to “Nature in the City” is ok as a title; ideas were shared for a subtitle or tagline, such as “Protecting and Restoring Nature (or Natural Habitats) in Our Urban Environments”; we should also explain that the concept is meant to include all municipalities within the County. For the subtitle, there was a preference for including the term, ”Protect”, as opposed to “Preserve”
    Not available
   5. Discuss plans for completion of Chapter Template

Minutes note: a. Frank shared a slide presentation she prepared giving an overview of the Chapter Template sections to be completed for each of the initiatives of our working group, along with a draft of completed text for the Tree Canopy initiative b. In the discussion, Shambarger urged the group to champion the Green Lots program; it was pointed out the Food Waste need not be addressed by our working group since it in currently listed as Chapter 8 of the Task Force report and will be prepared by the Waste group; Frank will remove Food Waste from the slide presentation; Riebe raised a concern that residential property be covered by our proposals, in addition to commercial and public property; the section on Secondary Proposals is currently opened and some suggestions are residential property incentives and/or parkland projects c. With respect to the Tree Canopy proposal, the 40% tree cover goal should be revisited and Frank will reach out to Milwaukee Water Commons on this question and on coordination of the proposal d. County Parks – we will call out the need for adequate funding for the parks system; it could be done with a call-out box in the margin of the report e. Volunteers for drafting sections of the Chapter Template for next meeting – Staedter on Green Infrastructure; Riebe on Protecting Remaining Natural Lands; Brown will get up to speed and consider taking a section; drafts are to be submitted to Frank who will be available as a resource
    Not available
   6. Start to identify initiatives to be referred to the Finance Working Group for coordinated effort

Minutes note: Not addressed.
    Not available
   7. Next Steps a. Items for next agenda b. Next meeting date

Minutes note: a. Items for next agenda – review updated drafts of Chapter Template b. Next meeting date – Monday, 9/27/21 at 11:00
    Not available
   8. Adjournment

Minutes note: 12:34 Minutes provided by Linda Frank.
    Not available