powered help
header-left header-center header-right
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
Meeting date/time: 11/11/2020 2:30 PM Minutes status: Final  
Meeting location: Virtual
Published agenda: Agenda Agenda Published minutes: Minutes Minutes  
Meeting video: eComment: Not available  
File #Ver.Agenda #TypeTitleActionResultTallyAction DetailsVideo
     To joint this meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/816965981 To join by phone: (646) 749-3112 Access Code: 816-965-981     Not available
   1. Roll call.

Minutes note: Meeting convened: 2:38 P.M. Members present: Linda Frank, Nik Kovac, Erick Shambarger, George Martin, Julie Kerksick, Ted Kraig, Pam Fendt, Rafael Smith, Pam Ritger, Janet Meissner Pritchard, Supreme Moore Omokunde Member excused: August Ball
    Not available
   2. Review and approval of the minutes of Nov. 4th.

Minutes note: Akira Hone is an intern with Clean Wisconsin who will be listening to these meetings and she is an artist. Ms. Frank moved to approve the minutes. There were no objections.
    Not available
   3. Finalize the work groups' membership, duties, chairs, titles, etc.

Minutes note: Mrs. Ritger had presented the working group committee's preliminary ideas at the end of the last meeting. Mr. Martin thinks her ideas are great. Mr. Wiggins wanted the task force members to think of these 9 work groups as functions. Ms. Ritger said the proposed work groups would each create a chapter in the final report. The Work Group Committee did agree that having 9 work groups was a lot, but they don't all need to be happening at the same time and possibly focus on work groups 1-6 and then move on to work groups 7-9. Mr. Kraig agreed that was the idea, that they wouldn't all be meeting at once. Ms. Frank agreed with what Ms. Ritger and Mr. Kraig were saying in keeping all of these work groups and have them do their work on a rotating basis, but she agreed with Mr. Wiggins that there is an overlap and the need for a project manager, which Mr. Shambarger had volunteered to do. How will these work groups coordinate with Tom Herrod as well as with stakeholders and the project manager? Mr. Martin says the work load can be decreased by including non-task force members and he likes the idea of staggering the sequence of the work groups. He sees the work groups as leading staff and expanding to outside experts to make this a broad community effort. Ms. Meissner Pritchard thinks it makes sense to integrate finance into the work groups, which would result in 5 work groups rather than 6 and to also reach out to specific individuals to serve on work groups. Ms. Kerksick thinks it's a lot of work groups, but the decision making needs to rest with the Task Force and she's concerned there's not staff infrastructure to support all the work groups and she wants to know what the solution is we are driving for in terms of technology and behavior. Ms.Fendt says there is a lot of work and the number of work groups spreads it out. Ms. Fendt pointed out that the Preliminary Report was a little disjointed as all the work groups worked independently. Mr. Kraig thought it would be logical to have city or county staff serve on each work group to assist with implementation. Mr. Martin said that the chair of each work group should be a member of the task force. Ms. Ritger said each chapter should include shovel-ready projects and how those projects would be paid for and how things are currently funded and how funding could be shifted for these projects. Ald. Kovac said the trick will be how to integrate jobs and equity. Mr. Shambarger said it's a lot of work to review contracts, arrange public hearings and do the other work, which is why he offered to function as the project manager. Mr. Kraig feels the Jobs and Equity component should review each work group's report and right now the focus should be on the work, not specific chapters as that may change in the next year. Ms.Ritger said 1-12 is proposed chapters for a plan; items 1-9 on pages 2-3 are the work groups and stakeholders and subject matter experts should be invited to serve on the work groups. Mr. Wiggins would like a project manager appointed for this. Ms. Ritger moved to approve the work groups with the chairs with no project manager and seconded by Mr. Smith. Mr. Kraig would like a discussion of the sequencing and responsibilities of each work group before the work groups and chairs are approved. Sequence: education and outreach needs to meet first so a plan is in place for other work groups to follow with their outreach efforts. Ms. Kerksick left at 3:26 P.M. Beginning Dec. 18th, Sup. Moore Omokunde will no longer be a Task Force member so he couldn't chair a work group. Work groups (so far): Education and Outreach - George Martin (willing to co-chair with Sup. Moore Omokunde) Jobs and Equity - Rafael Smith, Chair, Julie Kerksick serving as a member Ms. Frank sees some merit in only having the Education and Outreach work group meet and stakeholder engagement should really be addressed since we have been discussing this for a long time. Education and Outreach work group could work on doing outreach in terms of getting stakeholders to serve on the work groups. There is a Google docs on the web site that permits people to sign up to serve on a work group. Ms. Frank also said there is no process to add stakeholders. Mr. Martin said Education and Outreach has already accomplished work on how to out reach to the public. Mr. Martin would like to reach out to associations, rather than to developers. There is both outreach to stakeholders as well as to the community at large. Sup. Moore Omokunde asked if there will be a template set up for all outreach efforts to be done? Mr. Kraig does believe so. Mr. Shambarger said the public doesn't even know this group exists and a preliminary plan exists. He sees a project manager pinning down dates to get stuff accomplished across work groups.
    Not available
   4. Discussion on Proposal to Prepare a Milwaukee Climate Protection and Economic Equity Plan.

Minutes note: Mr. Wiggins said that designating a project manager is the key outcome for today's meeting as he sees this as a huge undertaking. Mr. Martin wanted to see a job description in writing for this position. Mr. Kraig said there needs to be an executive function by city or county staff to make sure that things are integrated into a coherent whole. An all-volunteer effort tends to fall apart and implementation would be overseen by the project manager, as well as developing a budget and doing fund raising as there is no money in the 2021 city budget. Mr. Shambarger said there is a need to sequence this so it all comes together in two years. He would produce some proposals for the Task Force to approve. There are tight deadlines for some grants and he doesn't want to go above his role, but he also doesn't want to lose potential grant money and there is some money available for this effort. Ms. Ritger would like to see a proposal with a timeline and have a structure in place for how stakeholders will be involved and she would be fine holding off until there is a little more structure. Mr. Smith also supports having a project manager. Mr. Geordie Bennett said that the Task Force could create a charter and ECO would be responsible for implementing the charter; he would be willing to assist in developing the charter Mr. Shambarger would serve as a project manager as part of his city job. This will be on the next agenda - the charter will be built upon the work done by Ms Ritger. Mr. Shambarger said there is no new money coming in until January 1; he could create a planning document in approximately 3 weeks Mr. Martin would like the Education and Outreach Work Group to meet and invite Mr. Shambarger to attend so everyone is on the same page.
    Not available
   5. Review and approval of the draft letter to be sent to WE Energies.

Minutes note: Ms. Frank thinks the letter looks excellent and suggested changes were incorporated. Joel Haubrich present virtually for WE Energies. The Task Force will work around WE Energies' schedule and someone will attend. Ms. Frank moved to approve and there were no objections.
    Not available
   6. Budget calculations and requests for recommendations contained in the Preliminary Report.

Minutes note: This was encompassed as part of items 3 and 4. Ms. Frank said this should be incorporated as part of the new work groups and the charter.
    Not available
   7. Next steps for the task force and work groups to take.

Minutes note: Mr. Shambarger said ICLEI will be providing some data and so some strategies can be created within the next few weeks as part of the Greenhouse Gas Work Group. ICLEI did present a menu of options, some of which may or may not work in Milwaukee. He will share the ICLEI memo once he has it. Mr. Wiggins thinks Kansas City is comparable to Milwaukee and they are doing great work. The Greenhouse Gas report does have comparable cities in it. Mr. Shambarger will send Mr. Herrod the press release about closing the Oak Creek fossil fuel plant. Members can sign up for the work groups they wish to serve on through the ECO web site - the Google form will generate a nice list. Members will create lists of who they wish to see on the work groups, but won't contact those individuals. Mr. Shambarger saw the need for a shared Google doc. Names of potential stakeholders can be e-mailed to Ms. Elmer. Wednesday afternoons at this time seem to work well. The next meeting will be Dec. 9th at 2:30 (possibly the 2nd Wednesday of every month). Mr. Shambarger would like to have a program/push to increase minority electricians as there will be a great need for electricians in the future. Sup. Moore Omokunde would like to have economic equity go beyond jobs. The county added one electric bus to its budget. Mr. Martin thanked Ms. Ritger, Mr. Kraig, Mr. Wiggins and Mr. Shambarger for all their work. Meeting adjourned: 4:24 P.M. Linda M. Elmer Staff Assistant
    Not available
191923 0 CommunicationCommunication relating to the final report and activities of the City-County Task Force on Climate and Economic Equity.    Action details Not available
     In the event that Common Council members who are not members of this committee attend this meeting, this meeting may also simultaneously constitute a meeting of the Common Council or any of the following committees: Community and Economic Development, Finance and Personnel, Judiciary and Legislation, Licenses, Public Safety and Health, Public Works, Zoning, Neighborhoods & Development, and/or Steering and Rules. Whether a simultaneous meeting is occurring depends on whether the presence of one or more of the Common Council member results in a quorum of the Common Council or any of the above committees, and, if there is a quorum of another committee, whether any agenda items listed above involve matters within that committee’s realm of authority. In the event that a simultaneous meeting is occurring, no action other than information gathering will be taken at the simultaneous meeting.     Not available
     Upon reasonable notice, efforts will be made to accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities through sign language interpreters or auxiliary aids. For additional information or to request this service, contact the City Clerk's Office ADA Coordinator at 286-2998, (FAX)286-3456, (TDD)286-2025 or by writing to the Coordinator at Room 205, City Hall, 200 E. Wells Street, Milwaukee, WI 53202.    Not available
     Limited parking for persons attending meetings in City Hall is available at reduced rates (5 hour limit) at the Milwaukee Center on the southwest corner of East Kilbourn and North Water Street. Parking tickets must be validated in the first floor Information Booth in City Hall.    Not available
     Persons engaged in lobbying as defined in s. 305-43-4 of the Milwaukee Code of Ordinances are required to register with the City Clerk's Office License Division. Registered lobbyists appearing before a Common Council committee are required to identify themselves as such. More information is available at http://city.milwaukee.gov/Lobbying.    Not available